Skip to main content

My beautiful one was waiting.


Drumming my slender fingers on the cashier counter, I was unconsciously producing a rhythm, each beat rushing after another, pressing and hastening. Staring at the middle-aged cashier with the glamorous gift in one hand and a piece of pink wrapping paper in another, I could not help but sigh. I could feel the look of people tired of the long queue burning the back of my neck. I should have just bought the teddy bear and wrapped it myself. With a fluffy thing like that, any girl would not mind a wrapper’s clumsy state.
I felt in my pockets for my car-keys, then quickly picked up the present and settled it on the backseat. In no time, I was making a cute ten mileage on my speedometer on the busy Nakuru-Nairobi highway. A thousand bucks, thirty minutes of wrapping and probably my late arrival were the price of my weekend fling with my beautiful dear one - I ran through all those details in my head. It had been a long day. Driving mechanically, imagining her beaming smile while fatigue sluicing through my body like water down a rocky riverbed.
I had just passed an exit on the highway, when the brake lights of the car ahead flared. I slowed, slowed some more, like at a pit-stop, then pressed down hard. Dusk was already gathering, the sun a dull glow in the overcast sky. As I crested the lovely crater hill, traffic came to a complete stop, a long ribbon of taillights flashing red and white. An accident. A pileup maybe. I thought to myself, lost deep in sheer thoughts of being involved in one. I glanced at the gas gauge- the needle pointed at below quarter of a tank, just enough to return to the suburb, while this line of cars could be here for hours.
The warm stuffy air in the car started to make me nauseous. I had packed it out in the sun for the whole day. A mistake I would dare not repeat. I could barely crawl for the next ten minutes. Anxious, I got out of the car, my mouth half-open, gasping for air. I stood on tiptoe and craned, only to be disappointed by the long chain of cars, hissing in their fixed positions, hooting and honking in despair waiting for their turn to escape the glaring traffic. I could feel the heat from all the cars around rising up, shimmering faintly in the dusk, petrol mixed with diesel, creating a carpet of pungent stench. To my left, in the public service vehicle, faces of desperate passengers mixed with different emotions sat crammed up, waiting. The driver, with a thick beard and ruddy eyes kept honking and cursing. I turned around and glanced down the hill, where another group of cars joined the queue. Just behind my rear bumper was a cheap, red Toyota, its driver in a denim jacket, smoking cigarettes. In a shiny Volvo nearby, the kids in the backseat were making faces. I wasn’t the only one irritated by the pileup, after all. The air was cold and redolent with the scent of gas, making me feel light-headed. Glancing at the line of vehicles, I groped for the door of my car.
I sat still for a few minutes, gazing outside the car. The nearest exit was about half a mile back, separated by a long chain of cars and only accessible from the other side of the highway. I shook my head lightly, and looked at the gift on the backseat. The silvery ribbon stood out from the glossy wrapping paper. Readjusting myself, to feel the satin ribbon, cool and smooth between my fingers. I imagined her delicate fingers untying the ribbon and meticulously opening the wrapping paper so that it would not be torn. And her bright eyes when she saw that fluffy teddy bear! My face slightly relaxed, a comforting thought in such a situation, a smile lit up my tightened face.
Turning back to face the steering-wheel, I started feeling uneasy. My mind drifted away from the traffic jam and came to my beautiful one. I am going to be late, a mistake she couldn’t tolerate. I could imagine her beautiful face smooth to the feel, her dark eyes staring back at me, a mixture of dangerous emotions bubbling up. I couldn’t bear it. 'Is she sitting by the window, looking out to spot me driving in through the gate?' Or has she given up on waiting and retired to bed angry and teary?' I wondered, and ended up blaming myself for being late.
No matter what, I would not miss our date. After taking a deep breath, I snagged my teeth on my bottom lip and let an instinctive impulse take over. I jerked the steering-wheel, slid off the lane and onto the soft gravel shoulder, to the scarce oncoming traffic and made a clean about turn. I revved up some speed, gears grinding and made off on the opposite direction, travelling past the stilled traffic, like a frozen river. A major traffic offence, that was. Faces from the startled drivers looked at me in disbelief and envied my lucky escape. Not even that, could stop from the date with my beloved.
I reached the exit safely, then made a turn and rocketed through the softening darkness towards the suburbs. My beautiful one was waiting.
Happy week ya'll,
Loughran

Popular posts from this blog

Learning the ropes.

A reset is something that hits you when you least expect it. Just like sickness, it knocks at your door at odd hours, bringing with it a period of great adjustments and shifts.  A bit of a background story, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading an anecdote by Norman Vincent Peale (the father of positive thinking) where the author posits that one should change their thoughts if they wish to change the world.  This got me thinking; all those instances where I have seen people on the streets or in restaurants in seemingly boisterous conversations and showing broad smiles unassumingly made me think that they might be living life happier than mine. I assumed that they were happier than me or even smarter than me. Instances are rife where we sit in our little apartments imagining what it would be like to be someone else.  That feeling that we often behold that everyone around you seems to be doing better than you, or the one where we feel that piles upon piles of decks are stacked against you

The Psychology Of Color.

I came across this collection of colors and its psychological meaning and found great references that I can relate with.  " Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways. - Oscar Wilde . "  Picture Courtesy of inspirationalfeed.com Have a wonderful weekend up ahead! Gerry

He Remembers.

He’d write you this letter, but he knows, the good ol’ days are gone. blame the vagaries of life. The bits that used to make your heart fluster; the butterflies in your stomach? This are words, poured into this piece, to remember a graceful person, to honor a time that made his world a place to relish. Truth be said, weathering this time is daunting and he got no idea how it is going to be. He’s held onto hope; he knows too well of it’s tingling taste in his mouth. He’s beheld countless nights of little to no sleep and unsettled sighs and heaves, oh the world that was! The song titled For You by John Denver bellows through the dark headphones tightly holding his sanity together, He can’t help but feel every second and minute pass by so slowly. That is a song he would be singing in the shower with an upbeat mood, relishing the gifts of life. It’s a heavy one this bit, He doesn’t know if his shoulders can hold onto the weight really. He is scared, not that the world’s turned colder, bu